Monday 5 March 2007

Rookie Mistakes

I'm now on day six in Japan and I'm realising just how many rookie mistakes I've been making on this trip. Don't get me wrong; I'm having a great time and what I'm seeing is amazing, but this is the first time I've been overseas and it's the first time I've ever planned my own trip. Knowing what I know now, the next one will be a lot better.

My biggest problem is that I've gone too far and not given myself enough time to have a look around. Yesterday was the perfect example: after a massive day in Kyoto, I ended up sleeping in slightly and didn't get to the train station until around 10.30am. Which was lucky, the Shinkansen was leaving at 10.40am, but then I needed to make a connection to Hiroshima which meant waiting around until 12pm. Consequently, I didn't get into Hiroshima until 1.30pm, and then the hostel until 2.30pm. I only had one night here, so I instantly raced out and saw as much as I could until the sun went down.

I'm getting ahead of myself, of course - I need to write something about Kyoto before I get to Hiroshima. However, that's going to have to wait because I now have to rush and catch another Shinkansen into Osaka and do the same thing all over again!

See what I mean?

No comments: