Sunday 7 December 2008

Everything Hurts - But I Wouldn't Change A Thing

Last night was the best gig I've seen all year. For the first time in almost 15 years, the original lineup of Ned's Atomic Dustbin reformed and played for 90 amazing minutes - and I was there, front and centre as another screaming voice in the 1600-strong pogoing army.

It was a bit weird at first, to be honest. Since they reformed in 2000, two of the original members declined to take part so a new guitarist and bass player were recruited. This was the lineup I saw twice last year, so seeing two different guys up on stage this time almost felt wrong. This didn't last long: within moments of the first notes you could see the special bond these five guys had all those years ago and were reliving again, making the entire night all that more special.

Even better, I got to see vile evils again before and, once again, they refused to disappoint. More focused, tighter and with a far, far better sound (and a more active crowed helped), this is easily the best I've seen these guys play. Next year they're releasing their debut album and embarking on their own UK tour, so I'm eager to catch a full length show.

As wonderful as the gig was, it was made even better by the multitude of friends I was able to catch up with there. When I arrived here just over a year and a half ago I left behind my family, my friends, my cat - an entire life I'd built up over 30 years. Thankfully, I still had some friends over here to help me get on my feet, but it was still an uphill struggle to find where I fit in this new life.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is thank you to everyone I've met since I arrived and have welcomed me into their lives so generously - I appreciate it more than I can possibly articulate!

No comments: