Wednesday 16 May 2007

Back to Reality

So, where have I been? Not doing a lot, that's the short version.

No, wait, that's the long version too.

Okay, not quite: last weekend I caught up with Kylie again. The original plan was to hit the Natural History Museum for the day, then head off to a fancy dress party. Sounds pretty straightforward, right?

After a bit of discussion, we decided that the easiest last-minute costume would be some face paint to make ourselves look like KISS (Russ, you'd be proud!), so Kylie headed off into Walthamstow markets to find some face paint.

Two hours later, I received a call explaining that she hadn't found any face paint anywhere. By now I was ready to head over her way, so I hopped on the tube anyway and arrived almost an hour later. When I arrived, I gave her a call - and her phone was off. The last time I'd been here I was rotten drunk and it was dark, so any hope of me finding my way to Kylie's house were slim to none. Instead, I waited around and kept trying to call. An hour later, I finally got through.

Arriving back at her house (we'd given up on the museum for the day), we chatted, ordered some pizza and proceeded to watch the League of Gentlemen. I've been meaning to watch this for a VERY long time but never had the opportunity - and I loved it.

After the first six episodes, we decided it was time to get ready. Breaking out the laptop, we found a picture of KISS and started to slather on the makeup; Kylie going as Paul Stanley, while I made myself up as Gene Simmons (of course). Now looking like a couple of mental asylum escapees, we now had to brave the public transport (and the accompanying stares) to get to the party.

The party itself was okay, although I do question what sort of karaoke machine contains 2-Unlimited songs and not a single KISS song! We eventually left around 2am and braved the night buses (and more funny stares), arriving back at around 3.30am. And then spent the next 30 minutes removing makeup.

I guess I was tired - I woke up and checked the time and was stunned to discover it was 12.50! I guess the museum was out of the question today, too. Instead, we watched the next series of League of Gentlemen before I headed back to Lee's place around 6pm.

The next couple of nights were fairly tame, until last night - The Young Gods were doing their only UK show! The last time I saw these guys was around 12 years ago in Newcastle, when there were about 20-30 people in the crowd. Thankfully, last night was a bit more packed and the show was just as good. They played plenty of tracks off their new album (which isn't quite as good as some of their earlier stuff, but is still really good) as well as a few classics, ending the show with the disturbing 'Did You Miss Me?'.

And now for the latest about me: well, I've decided it's time to stop being a bum and get a job. I've been working on updating my CV with the help of Lee, but I find writing about myself so insanely tedious it's taking far longer than I'd hoped. I've been checking out the job ads for the last couple of weeks and - thankfully - it looks like there are quite a few positions available for what I want to do, so fingers crossed it won't take too long.

No comments: