Sunday 4 February 2007

Ups and Downs

As the title of this post cleverly suggests, this week has been a bit of a bumpy ride. Let me start at the beginning and work my way forward - how's that for a radical concept.

The week began pretty much as normal, except this time I knew it was my last week of work. Nothing exceptional there - maybe a bit of excitement.

The next day, on the other hand, was about as unpleasant time as I've had in a very long time. In order to finalise our separation, I needed to have a solicitor look over our agreement and sign that it was okay - so that was where I headed on Tuesday morning.

It's amazing how instructions as simple as "I am perfectly happy with this agreement, let me just sign it so I can get out of this office as cheaply as possible" can end up costing such a stupid amount of money. And I really mean stupid: the amount of cash that is being pissed away on this agreement could easily fund two weeks of accommodation in Japan. Just to sign a piece of paper. Unbelievable.

See, just writing about it now has made me angry again - imagine how infuriated I was after leaving their offices. It gets better too - you should see the costs agreement these leeches have the nerve to wave under your nose! It should be a crime the amount of money these people charge for such simple tasks as sending a fax.

Calm blue ocean. Calm blue ocean.

Friday was my last day of work. I'd been at that job for almost three years - nearly the exact amount of time I've been living in Melbourne - so it was a little sad to be saying goodbye to everyone. Most of the day was spent wrapping up the last of my tasks and handing them over to other people to look after, but toward the end of the day we were all herded into the kitchen and I was given a farewell card and present, and a lot of kind words from everyone.

I must admit, it was a really strange feeling walking out of work for the last time. Knowing that on Monday I have no job to go to. Knowing that I've voluntarily made myself unemployed. Knowing that I'm leaving the country in just a few weeks. Wondering if I'm making a mistake of monumental proportions. And every time I have one of these thoughts, it just makes me realise all the more why I'm going.

Saturday was spent packing and partying, or at least hanging out with some friends I haven't seen in a long time (and some friends I see all the time).

Today, my flat is almost empty. I've said goodbye to my bookshelves and have deposited all of my fully packed boxes to R's place until I leave. I also managed to make a deal to get rid of the last of my furniture today, so I can stop worrying what I'm going to do with the last of my stuff. All of the stuff I'm renting is being picked up on Friday so all I need to do is pack the last of my stuff and clean the flat. Then I'm ready to go.

One week of Melbourne left.

Oh, I thought I'd finish with a couple of links:

No comments: