Monday 19 November 2007

Twas the night before...

It's hard to believe that I've been living here in London for eight months now. I still wander around and marvel at the fact that I'm living in one of the greatest cities in the world - last night, in particular, I was wandering through the rain and the cold, along the Thames, with the Houses of Parliament (and Big Ben) lit up in the distance. I couldn't help but smile.

Even harder to believe is it's been six months since I last went travelling! Aside from some minor excursions to Birmingham to see some gigs, the last proper travel I did was to Amsterdam just before I started work. Yes, that also means I've been working here for six months too. There's an old cliche about time that seems to apply here.

However, this is all about to change! For the next week, I'm going to be spending my time in Berlin - and I can't wait. With all of the work, bands and other stuff I've been doing I feel like I've settled into the same stale groove I was in before I came over here, so it's nice to shake things up again and actually get out and see a bit more of the world. Plus I could really do with some time off right now!

The only bummer about it is I've picked up a nasty bastard cough that I just can't shake. A couple of weeks ago I was sick (AGAIN!!), but this time it only lasted for a day or two - I felt perfectly fine afterward. The most annoying part is that, one week later, I started coughing. And coughing. And it's still here a week later! I don't feel sick at all, I just can't stop coughing. I've tried throat lozenges, cough syrup and various other remedies, but it's stubbornly refusing to leave. This means I'm going to have three very annoyed room-mates at my hostel in Berlin as I spend the night coughing up a lung.

In other news... there is no news. Well, we had another gig last Saturday night which went fairly well, but not many people turned up in the end, which was a bit of a disappointment. The next one is a few days after I get back - on a school night too! We're still auditioning drummers for the new band, we're seeing two the night I get back so hopefully one will turn out okay.

If all goes according to plan, my next post should be from Germany.

No comments: