Saturday 2 June 2007

I'm Excited

As everyone knows, Pop Will Eat Itself are the greatest band in the entire history of the Universe. Naturally, the world became a less interesting place in 1997 when they split up.

Eight years later, they attempted a reformation which began with five shows in January 2005 and an attempt to record a new album. Sadly, Clint and Rich were unable to keep it going - but the good news is, Gra, Adam and Fuzz decided to start a new band: vileevils!

I saw PWEI twice in 1995 and they are still my favourite two gigs I've ever been to. They've been my very favourite band for years and years and years, so I was a bit down that I missed the reformation gigs. The bright side, at least, is that I have a DVD of one of the shows and it was just as wonderful as I'd expected.

As one of my previous posts might have hinted at, I'm seriously loving the music scene here in London. I'm seeing so many bands I've either wanted to see for years and years but never had the opportunity, or I'm getting to see some of my favourite bands again after an extremely long time.

Next weekend I'm heading up to Birmingham to see vileevils. It's a special gig: it's a benefit fund-raiser for a little boy named Oscar who was born without hands or feet. He also happens to be the son of one of PWEI's old roadies, who also used to be in the very original incarnation of PWEI - when they were known as From Eden.

When I heard about this show, I knew I had to be there. It's starting to look like it's going to be an even more special event than I'd anticipated. Why's that, you ask?

First it started with a rumour that Clint was going to be in attendance, a plausible event considering it's a special show for an old friend.

The next inkling came with an announcement that Miles Hunt would be in attendance too, playing before the 'evils. For those not in the know, Miles Hunt used to be in From Eden too - but is better known as the lead singer of The Wonder Stuff. You know at least one of their songs: you know 'Dizzy'? I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning... that's the one. That's The Wonder Stuff - funnily enough, with someone else singing. But it's still them.

Finally came a posting on the PWEI forum this morning from a Mr. Fuzz Townshend which read a little exactly like this:

Subject: Hmmm. So That Makes Five Of Us , Then?

Message: One never knows what will happen at these kind of events.




Could it be? Is it possible?

I guess I'll find out in a week!

No comments: